Wildlife Walks and Wild Orchid Walks
Please take a moment to read through the following information.
* Last around 3 hours. We meet at a pre-arranged spot (full details on booking), and walk from there. Most walks visit just one locality, but we sometimes move on to a second wildlife hot-spot nearby.
* The pace is relaxed, with plenty of time to stop and look, ask questions and take photographs. Most of the sites we visit require very little walking before we reach areas rich in wildlife.
* We generally cover easy terrain, although on the coast we may have to walk over loose sand or shingle, and Walks that visit areas of fen or bog can involve heavy going over short distances. Please note that our events are not suitable for those who have difficulty in walking unaided - please contact us if you are in any doubt.
* The maximum group size is 8 adults plus the leader.
* Children aged 5 and over are welcome if accompanied by an adult.
What can we see?
* Each Walk is carefully planned to take you to one of Norfolk's special places, be it the North Norfolk Coast, the Norfolk Broads, Breckland and one of Norfolk's fantastic Heaths and Fens (click on the links for more details about these wonderful areas).
* We are interested in every aspect of natural history, but concentrate on birds, flowers, butterflies, dragonflies, grasshoppers and crickets, and, in season, fungi. The species that we find will depend upon the habitat visited and the time of year.
* We have a particular interest in wild orchids and operate a unique series of Wild Orchid Walks. As well as admiring their beauty, we will discuss their fascinating (and sometimes fantastic) biology and ecology, and learn something about their distribution and status, both in Norfolk and further afield. See our Orchid Gallery for more photographs of fantastic Norfolk orchids.
* We have some special events looking at the edible plants, fungi and shellfish that can be found in the Norfolk countryside.
All our Walks are led by long-time residents of Norfolk who have many years experience in natural history (see About Norfolk Nature).
* No special equipment is necessary, but binoculars are useful to look at birds, butterflies and dragonflies, and a hand-lens is useful for plants and small insects (we can lend you a hand-len and give instruction on their use, and will also have a range of field guides to hand).
* You will need stout walking shoes or boots. Some walks visit areas of bog or fen, and for these wellington boots are essential (and 'wellies' can also be useful if there has been recent rain or a heavy dew).
* Norfolk summers are as unpredictable as elsewhere, so please come prepared for wind and rain, even if on the day you leave your jacket or waterproofs in the car.
We love the outdoors and accept the fact that the weather is seldom perfect. Sometimes windy, cool or damp conditions mean that finding some wildlife, especially butterflies and dragonflies, is difficult or even impossible. Our local knowledge allows us to adapt the programme as necessary to take account of the weather, but occasionally persistent or heavy rain results in the cancellation of a Walk. In such cases we will offer a full refund or, if you prefer, try to re-schedule the event.
The cost of a Walk is £15 per person per session. There is no charge for children aged 5-11. Parking fees and entrance charges are not included, but members of the RSPB, Norfolk Wildlife Trust and National Trust may receive concessions, so please bring your membership cards. Meals, drinks and snacks are also not included in the price.
All Walks must be booked in advance. Send a cheque for £15 per person, per walk (made out to Simon Harrap) to 1 Norwich Road, Edgefield, Norfolk, NR24 2RP. Do not forget to include your name, address, e-mail address (if you have one) and telephone number, and the details of the Walk that you wish to book. Feel free to contact us by phone (01263 587736) or e-mail (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Please read our Booking Information prior to making a booking.
Norfolk Nature Gift Vouchers
Why not give a friend or relative a great day out? Norfolk Nature gift vouchers can be exchanged for either a Wildlife Walk or a Wild Orchid Walk.
Bespoke Wildlife Walks
The dates and venues advertised in our calendar may not suit you, but we are usually available on other dates to guides groups of almost any size, anywhere in Norfolk. Please contact us with your requirements.
Return to 2012 Wildlife Walks Calendar